The Genius of Thurber
- "Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility."
- "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
- "You can fool too many of the people too much of the time."
- "One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough."
- "Don't get it right; get it written."
- "It is not so easy to fool little girls nowadays as it used to be."
- "There is no safety in numbers, or in anything else."
- "Never allow a nervous female to have access to a pistol, no matter what you're wearing."
- From My Life And Hard Times, referring to a fellow Ohio State student and football star: "In order to be eligible to play it was necessary for him to keep up in his studies, a very difficult matter, for while he was not dumber than an ox he was not any smarter."