Sunday, October 1, 2006

"This is not peace. It is an armistice for 20 years"


"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack."
- Marshall Ferdinand Foch

Ferdinand Foch, OM, GCB, (October 2, 1851March 20, 1929) was a French soldier, military educator and author. He served as general in the French Army during World War I and made Marshal of France in its final year, 1918.

He was chosen as supreme commander of the allied armies during World War I, on March 26, 1918, five days after the start of the Spring Offensive, the final attempt by Germany to win the war. He served until November 11, 1918, when he accepted the German Surrender.

He advocated harsh peace terms that would make Germany unable to ever pose a threat to France again. His word after the Treaty of Versailles, “This is not a peace. It is an armistice for 20 years”, would prove prophetic.